The most basic question about SMS is that, what does it stand for? SMS is a very common abbreviation used today. Some people may wonder about its full form, that is Short Service Message.
The SMS full form is "Short Message Service" and the concept of was first given by the cooperation, known as Franco-German GSM, in 1984. SMS was discovered by Friedhelm Hillebrand and Bernard Ghillebaert. Matti Makkonen is considered as the father of SMS. The first SMS was made on 3rd December, and it was just a “Merry Christmas” text message. Later on, it became popular in 1998. Still, SMS is the most widely used communication source throughout the world.
SMS Full Forms:
You can see the full detail of SMS, abbreviations of SMS, and more full forms of SMS in the table given below.
|Short Message Service||Mobile Technology||SMS|
|System Management Server||Information Technology||SMS|
|Service Management System||Computer and Networking||SMS|
|Server Malloc (memory Allocation) System||Telecommunication||SMS|
|Systems Management Server||Networking||SMS|
|Send Me Symbols||Networking||SMS|
|Smart Messaging Service||Softwares||SMS|
|Secs (semi Equipment Communications Standard) Message Service||Electronics||SMS|
|Show Me Sister||Messaging||SMS|
|Special Measuring Service||Space Science||SMS|
|Separation Mechanism Subsystem||Space Science||SMS|
|Shuttle Mission Simulator||Space Science||SMS|
|Solar Maximum Satellite||Space Science||SMS|
|Space Motion Sickness||Space Science||SMS|
|Synchronous Meteorological Satellite||Space Science||SMS|
|Sainte Marie||Airport Code||SMS|
|Shred Mylar Surface||Computer Assembly Language||SMS|
|Small Memory System||Computer Hardware||SMS|
|System Managed Storage||Computer Hardware||SMS|
|Sardarayaab Model School||Educational Institute||SMS|
|Spectral Modeling Synthesis||Physics Related||SMS|
|Strategic Management Sciences||Business Management||SMS|
|Strategic Management Society||Business Management||SMS|
|Safety Management Systems||Business Management||SMS|
|Stock Market Simulation||Stock Exchange||SMS|
|Service Members||Military and Defence||SMs|
|Supply Management Software||Military and Defence||SMS|
|Seiner Majestat Schiff||Military and Defence||SMS|
|Sleep Management System||Military and Defence||SMS|
|Single Mobility System||Military and Defence||SMS|
What is meant by SMS
SMS is the most common text messaging service used within the internet, mobile phones, telephones, etc. Short Message Service is a communication source, which permits to exchange of text messages between your mobile devices. This service allows you to receive and send messages of up to 160 alpha-numeric characters only.
Usually, for conveying a short message to the one, you never prefer to make him the call. In that case, you go for an SMS because you find it the more easy and simplest way to hook with him.
All the telecommunication companies, like Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, etc provide the facility of Short Message Service. SMS was primarily a part of GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) only, but now it's also available on CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access) mobile networks.
How SMS works?
When a text message is sent, it first moves towards the nearby tower known as the control channel. From there, it heads towards SMSC, the SMS center. The SMSC again sends that text message to the tower, nearest to the recipient. Finally, it goes to the respective mobile phone.
How to send an SMS?
SMS is the most convenient way of conveying your message. You just have to open the SMS app on your phone, enter the message inbox and send it to the specific person you want.
➢ SMS language
A specific language is used in Short Message Service. It’s commonly known as texting language, in which the words are shortened. Instead of, writing a complete word, abbreviations are used.
- University is written as ‘uni’
- Morning as ‘mrng’
- And as ‘nd’
- Good As ‘gud’
- I am Coming as ‘M Comin’
- Please as ‘plz’
- Light As ‘ li8’
Moreover, slangs are also highly observed as part of SMs language. These are informal words and expressions, use between friends.
- How funny!
➢ SMS Marketing
You can use Short Message Service for marketing purposes As well. It refers to sending bulk SMS to promote something, let's say your business. These may be in the form of thousands of text messages sent to a certain location. It’s the most effective way to retain customers. You can establish communication over text messages with your customers to benefit your businesses. The purpose of SMS marketing Is to establish a database of subscribers to raise customer loyalty. Mostly, people prefer SMS over emails in marketing. No doubt, it’s the cheapest and easiest source of communication.
Let's have a look at some benefits of SMS marketing.
- It's an instant Source of marketing. Text messages are sent and received in no time. It's just a matter of seconds to convey your requirements or receive the orders.
- Make personal connections with your customers.
- It’s the most flexible way of marketing. You don’t require expensive data to communicate with your customers. Especially in regions with an unstable internet connection, you can freely use SMS.
- It’s the most affordable way of marketing. Especially, if you have just started your business and chasing Some cost-effective advertising options.
Pros of SMS
Everything has its pros and cons. Similarly, some ProS of Short Message Service are listed below.
- It’s a very reliable platform, which ensures guaranteed delivery of the information.
- It's already present on all mobile phones, so there is no need for any installation.
- The conversation among people is permanently stored until deleted by the user himself.
- Texting consumes less time as compared to sending an e-mail or making a phone call.
- SMS provides excellent privacy for the recipient.
- Search message service is versatile.
- SMS Is designed for everyone. One can connect With the Whole World using text messaging. Almost there are 7 billion mobile phones used by people, daily.
Cons of SMS
To every advantage, there are cons. Besides having various pros, SMS also have some cons, Which are As follows
- Your message has to be of a specific length, the one couldn’t exceed 160 characters.
- You can’t recognize whether your message is read or not.
- Moreover, there is no possibility to unsend your message, as in WhatsApp.
While using a Short Message Service, you have to pay some amount to connect with people. It's not free of cost.